More than a dozen bills designed to help communities in California combat an affordable housing crisis were approved by the California Legislature on Friday, September 15, 2017 and sent to the Governor for his approval. This past year marks the Legislature’s “Year of Housing,” wherein more than one hundred housing proposals were introduced and debated in order to provide for assistance in funding for affordable housing development, streamlining local government approval of housing projects, restoring authority to impose inclusionary housing requirements on private housing developers, and creating more state-wide Anti-NIMBY laws. Governor Brown is expected to sign at least three major bills in the package: SB 2, SB 3 and SB 35.
SB 2, by Sen. Toni Atkins, D-San Diego, would provide for a “permanent source” of funds for affordable housing development through the creation of a $75 fee on most recorded documents (except for home sales). This fee is expected to generate $200-300 million per year that can be used for affordable housing development. Half of the funds generated in 2018 would be made available to local governments for updating planning documents and zoning ordinances in order to streamline housing production, and the other half would go to the state for homeless assistance programs. Beginning in 2019, 70% of the funds would be directly allocated to local governments for a variety of affordable housing programs, and the other 30% would be used by the state for mixed income multifamily housing, farmworker housing and other programs.
SB 3, by Sen. Jim Beall, D-Campbell, would place a $4 billion statewide housing bond on the November 2018 state ballot, with bond proceeds to be used to fund a number of existing housing programs: $1.5 billion of the funds would go to the state’s Multifamily Housing Program for affordable housing development loans, $1 billion of the funds would go to the state’s CalVet veteran’s home loan program, with the remainder of the funds allocated for the CalHome down payment, farmworker housing, transit-oriented development, mortgage assistance programs and infrastructure supporting infill housing.
SB 35, by Sen. Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, creates a streamlined approval process for housing developments in communities that have not approved enough housing to keep up with regional fair share housing goals. Eligible projects do not need to obtain conditional use permits and can take advantage of lower state-mandated parking standards. To take advantage of this process, the proposed development must be on an urban infill site, the development must not be in the coastal zone, agricultural land or other sensitive areas. Furthermore, the developer taking advantage of this streamlined process (an optional right for the developer) must pay prevailing wages and, in some cases, certify that it will use a “skilled and trained workforce” to complete the project. Critics of SB 35 believe that it will impose extraordinary costs on affordable housing construction, thus hindering the legislature’s ultimate goal.
Governor Jerry Brown has until October 15, 2017 to sign or veto these bills. Do you think these bills will adequately fix housing issues in your local community? What are your local communities doing to address these issues, and how do these actions align or conflict with these proposed bills? We would love to hear your thoughts. Please share them with firstname.lastname@example.org.
This blog was Co-Authored by Millay Kogan, RSG Analyst and Tara Matthews, RSG Partner