GREG SMITH, Senior Associate
Affordable Housing, Commercial Real Estate, Underwriting, Acquisitions, Financing, Development
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT WORK
I enjoy problem solving and creating plans that help improve developments.
Greg’s background includes acquisitions, development, asset management, and finance for affordable housing, market rate multifamily, and commercial real estate developments. After graduating from USC, he started working in finance and asset management with a commercial real estate lender and a real estate investment bank. In both positions he developed strong skills in finance and underwriting. He also provided annual internal asset review reports to the FDIC. This experience in finance enabled him to develop a strong background in debt and equity capital markets and financial analysis. From there, Greg began working for investment firms. He was able to develop financing plans utilizing institutional equity partners and various debt sources. He also completed the financial analysis for every development he worked on, including structuring deals to maximize investor returns. Following his career in multifamily and commercial real estate he was able to take his skills and develop a background in the affordable housing industry. His affordable housing experience includes both 9% and 4% LIHTC transactions in ground-up development and acquisition/rehab. He has an affordable housing LIHTC background in California, New Jersey, Michigan, and Texas. Greg also arranged and closed many acquisitions and financing transactions with developments that included HUD Housing Assistant Payment contracts. In addition, he has a significant amount of experience working with various gap financing sources, including: AHSC, VHHP, IIG, and other local city and county sources. As a Project Manager, he oversaw all critical aspects of the entitlement process, and was the financing liaison. He personally completed all of the underwriting and directly sourced the equity and debt for each development.
Greg joined RSG in 2016 as a Senior Associate. He received a BS in Business with and emphasis in marketing from the University of Southern California.
- Working with the City of San Carlos to provide finance and analysis support for two prospective affordable housing developments.
- Provided financial analysis review for the City of Stanton of one 81-unit affordable housing development.
- Working with the County of San Diego on five separate affordable housing developments. This includes evaluating the developer’s underwriting and ensuring that their proposal is consistent with HOME funding requirements.
- Worked with the City of Lynwood on a 66-unit affordable housing development and an adjacent commercial property.
- Completed a valuation analysis for new covenants on a 151-unit existing development in Glendora, CA.
- Provided my economic analysis on various developments for the Irvine Community Land Trust. This is for two NOFA’s, and the projects were for-rent and for-sale affordable housing.
OUT & ABOUT
- CalBRE Broker License 01426432