JIM SIMON, Principal/President
Real Estate Acquisition, Development and Financial Feasibility, Economic Development
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT WORK
I’m driven to help local government capitalize on community development opportunities. The work is not static. I enjoy adapting my style, pace and approach to the specific needs of my clients and their communities.
Inspired to improve the Golden State in his work, Jim delivers intelligence, innovation and passion to projects requiring his unparalleled expertise in fiscal health, real estate and economic development. For nearly 25 years, Jim is proud to have led projects that have resulted in the investment of over $3 billion in private and public capital, transforming cities and communities across California. As President of RSG, Jim is helping to shape the next generation of the firm’s legacy - leading RSG’s team of inspired, creative and insightful consultants that serve over 100 communities each year.
Jim joined RSG in 1991 and has served as a Principal and shareholder since 2001. He received a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in entrepreneurial management from California State University, Fullerton. In 2014, Jim was selected as an Advisory Board member of the California Association for Local Economic Development, and is an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) and the National Association of Office and Industrial Properties (NAIOP) as well as other professional organizations.
- Led acquisition, financing and redevelopment of a 4-acre Brownfield in San Carlos resulting in development of a 200-room upper midscale hotel and a 120% internal rate of return on the City’s investment.
- Negotiated and structured terms and conditions of a workforce housing development in Goleta which was recognized by the American Planning Association’s Central Coast Chapter as a "Hard Won Victory."
- Analyzed and developed deal terms for a disposition and development agreement for a public-private partnership of a $70 million mixed use project in downtown San Carlos.
- Analyzed and developed framework for a subvention agreement between the City of Los Angeles and Westfield for development of a $350 million destination lifestyle center in west San Fernando Valley.
- Vetted equity investor and developer qualifications for the resurrection of the stalled reopening of the Ritz Carlton Rancho Mirage to be opened in May 2014.
- Led marketing efforts for the disposition of several industrial and commercial properties in the City of Irwindale, resulting in the entitlement of over 1 million square feet of new uses in the City.
OUT & ABOUT
- "Layered Financing: Funding Projects Today" – CALED/Annual Conference
- "Creating an Economic Development Strategy" – OCED/Southern California Economic Development Symposium
- "Real Estate Development & Reuse" – CALED/Introduction to Economic Development Certificate Program
- "Components of an Economic Development Strategy" – CSAC/Economic Development and Opportunities for Counties
- CSMFO/Webinar (Sep ’12)
- CALAFCO/Annual Conference
- CSU Fullerton/Extension Program National Association of Office and Industrial
- Non-Profit Housing Association of Northern California